Durham Hosiery Mill Centennial Group

Abstract/Description: This group of men, who referred to themselves as "Brothers of the Beard" all worked together at Durham Hosiery Mill and had grown beards and dressed in period costumes to celebrate Durham's centennial. The centennial commemorated the 100th anniversary of the relocation of the original post office from Prattsburg to the depot site, which eventually became the corner of Pettigrew and Corcoran-Blackwell streets, which was officially named "Durham's Station" on April 26, 1853. The Centennial celebration culminated with a parade with everyone dressed in clothing reminiscent of the time when Durham was founded. The parade's grand marshall was James Arness who starred as Marshall Dillon on Gunsmoke. This picture hung for many years in Paschall's Restaurant on Holloway Street. Among those identified are: L.G. Hill, back row far left; Marvin Herbert (Jack) Franklin, front row center with striped jacket; and David Claiborne Neal, front row, right end.
Subject(s): Durham County (N.C.)
African Americans -- North Carolina -- Durham -- 20th century
Date Created: 1953